9.03.2009

a house... a labor of love


I recently read an article in the New York Times, my news addiction, about a man who builds houses out of random scraps others see as trash. I found it completely fascinating how great the houses look, as if they were built straight from a picture in a fairy tale read by a child. Whimsical, colorful, unique, unabashedly individual are a few things that come to mind while I sit an ponder what objects I would fancy using to build my house! I would love to have a cork board made of old wine stoppers built into the wall in the kitchen, a kitchen counter made of broken antique dishes, perhaps a wall of buttons, and canning jars as light fixtures. The possibilities are absolutely endless, and I would love to get my hands on the chance to create our home one piece of someone else's junk at a time. What a family heirloom that could be! Now.... to get in touch with Mr. Phillips.....

1 comment:

  1. You know who's really into this stuff? Zach Kittle. I saw some of his stuff on facebook and it's AMAZING - he made a coffee table out of old copper piping. Very cool. I wish I had a gift for that kind of stuff. My sister's got it in spades. Oh well, we all have our strengths. :) Love the cork board idea!

    ReplyDelete

comment to join the conversation! i {heart} hearing from you!