7.24.2012

Time travel.

Have you ever wanted to go back in time. No, no, not that far back. Not back to petti skirts and horse-drawn carriages... or I mean back through your life. Back to certain moments in time that you'd like to re-do. I know I have a few.



Like back to the start line of a race when I was running cross country in high school.

Back to the time I was picked on and didn't say a word.

Back to the time I broke a persons heart and proceeded to stomp all over it in a wild show of my immaturity.

Back to the time I didn't do my homework (and started such a bad habit!).

Back to the time I wasted...

And to the task I didn't complete... 

And the friend I left hanging for selfish reasons.



I'd go back and talk some sense into myself. I guess you could say I'd get all mom-like with the never-ending gobs of wisdom to throw at myself... I'm pretty sure I'd respond, very mature-like, by rolling my eyes at myself and telling myself I had no idea what I was talking about. 'Cause I knew everything back then... or pretended to, anyway.

Do you ever sit and think about how you treated people in the past, or how you reacted in certain situations? I do sometimes... Certain songs will make me think of people or times in my life... and I proceed to reminisce... usually when we do that, all the good things come to mind, ya know, the happy-go-lucky-everything-is-rainbows-and-sunshine part of it all?! don't pretend like you've never purposely remembered only the good in a situation! i know you have. we all do it. it's natural. i guess it's the realization that we do this that is the key to growing from it all.

Luckily, or unluckily depending on how you see it, because I'm so blunt and honest with my friends, they have a tendency to be blunt and honest right back. In a recent conversation with a friend, I was told that a certain situation was when, "you (meaning I) turned into a total heinous bitch." Wow. I had conveniently forgotten THAT part of the story. Oops. Chalk it up to human nature. I only allowed myself to remember the good stuff.

There are a number of times throughout my life that I'm sure I could be described as I was described above, and for that, I wish I could go back and have a little do-over. But then I think about it and wonder if that is what I'd really want. All of the choices, good, bad, or heinously bitchy, are what makes me who I am today. Sure, it's fun to reminisce with old friends about the days that were, and how young and crazy (insert any adjective here) we were, but would I really want to go back?

I feel like I'm at a point in my life, at the 30-year mark, where I can help out my friends with what I've learned. I had a long talk with a friend today who is going through some major life changes and decision-making right now. I knew exactly what my friend was feeling, because I've been there before. I've been in the same situation, but didn't make the 'better' choice, I make a choice at the worst time possible and it didn't turn out well. I felt I could give my friend my two cents with a little wisdom intertwined in my words. I won't go into detail, but suffice it to say I could totally relate, and I could share my insights- which felt really great. I know sometimes all you need is a little push in the right direction to ease your mind when making big decisions.

So, what sounds better? Going back and changing things, or learning from them and helping someone that is struggling with a tough decision right now that you can relate to? Or maybe a little of both? *wink, wink*

Do you like to help others, or are you the one who is in need of help? Remember that all you need to do is ask for help... you'll be surprised at the people in your life who step up to give you a helping hand, or a push towards the right decision.

Happy helping! -or- Happy asking! xo, gg