1.30.2013

spinach salad with stir fried chicken with warm ginger vinaigrette

As I was getting ready to leave Georgia, Mom handed me a Cook Fresh magazine for the plane hoping it would get me through some of the flight. I perused it while waiting at the airport, and planned to use some of the recipes upon my return, but half assumed I'd never crack it back open because I know myself all-too-well.

Much to my chagrin, I did reopen it- and I chose the spinach salad for a light fresh meal for dinner with a few tweaks of course.

Man Disclaimer: My husband is usually pretty easy to please when it comes to dinner, just as long as it is filling and includes meat, he's generally a happy camper. I was a little worried the salad wouldn't be filling enough, but figured I'd give it a try. After tasting the first few bites I asked how it was, "I would eat this for a whole week with different meat and veggies each night! It's really good!" Score one for salads.

I hope you try it out and enjoy it!



Spinach Salad with Stir Fried Chicken and Warm Ginger Vinaigrette

Makes 4 servings, or 2 large servings

8 cups fresh baby spinach
3 TBS rice vinegar
2.5 TBS soy sauce
1lb Chicken breast tenders (cut in strips)
1tsp cornstarch
2 tsp sesame oil
Veggies to your liking (I used 2 small onions and carrots) ideas to try include bamboo shoots, mushrooms, sprouts, pepper)
2 TBS fresh ginger (if you don't have fresh, use a few teaspoons of ground ginger to taste

Mix 1.5 TBS of soy sauce with 3 TBS water, set aside. Put chicken in a bowl with a mixture of the following: remaining 1 TBS of soy sauce, 1 TBS vinegar and cornstarch, mix to coat and allow to sit for 10 minutes.

Sauté the chicken in a small amount of olive oil on the stove until cooked through. Remove from pan and sauté the veggies until tender. Put the veggies in the bowl with the chicken and stir to combine. Add 1TBS of olive oil and ginger to skillet and cook until you start to smell the ginger (if you are using the ground ginger, you can add to the skillet while sautéing the veggies.) Remove the skillet from heat and add the mixture of soy sauce and water and stir well to scrape the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Toss the vinaigrette with the spinach, portion into bowls and add the sautéd meat and veggies on top. Serve immediately.